Simple Backup problems

Faizan Kazi faizan.s.kazi at gmail.com
Sat May 16 12:34:35 UTC 2009

Can TimeVault, Flyback, Backintime, rsync and other such softwares that copy
file by file really be used to completely restore a system?

For example:
if i completely backup my linux partition starting at "/" (excluding a
couple folders like /dev, /proc, /sys, /tmp, ~/.openoffice, ~/.nautilus);
then if i format my partition;
re-install a new copy of the same version of Ubuntu I was using before on
this partition (I suppose I need to perform this step to install working
linux files that were not backed up);
restore all the backed up files;
then *everything* will be just as it was at the time the backup was made?
all my programs should run fine and retain all the data from the snapshot?

Thanks in advance,
Fez.