Simple Backup problems

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sat May 16 03:14:37 UTC 2009

Steven Susbauer wrote:

> Check out Backintime (http://backintime.le-web.org/). It is a frontend for
> rsync and some other stuff. Graphical interface, and smart with backups.
> If you want to make incremental backups it's great, it will only create
> new files for things that have changed or been added, otherwise it uses
> hard links to keep the structure while also saving space.

There are potential issues trying to grab backups over Samba shares
however.  In particular,  SMB will refuse read access to files that are
locked by another process, and this migth stop the backup from
completing as intended.  (I would think that a good backup solution
would not rotate the folders unless rsync returns with no errors.)

I've had much better results by installing CWRsync on the Windows system
 getting backed up, and using the rsync protocol directly instead of SMB.