Ubuntu One: interesting concept!

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:44:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Chris Jones
<christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch> wrote:
>> Hi,
>

>> I left dropbox for this very reason. OS-agnostic would be allowing FTP
>> access (which I have requested in their forums).
>
> Not sure what FTP access has to do with being able to run on any
> platform. Also, why support FTP when the more secure SSH/SFTP/SCP etc.
> exists. I can understand their lack of interest in FTP.

Dropbox offers individual access to the files via the web interface.
Not as convenient for dealing with multiple files as using their
integrated client, but you can't get a lot more OS-agnostic than that.

instead of ftp a more logical platform-agnostic directory protocol
might be WebDAV. I don't know that they DON'T offer that; HOWEVER the
performance using their proprietary client is so incredibly superior I
don't think many would use it even if it were available.

As Ubuntu One gets developed, however, maybe it would offer a
surprising alternative consistent with other Canonical ideas. Hmmm...
maybe click a "Ship-It" button and they will mail you a CD with your
files burned on it?  ;-)