Binary incompatibility of Linux distributions

Odd iodine at runbox.no
Fri May 15 20:32:49 UTC 2009

Graham Todd wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2009 05:12:15 +0200
> Odd <iodine at runbox.no> wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, but you grossly overestimate ordinary users' skills and
>> willingness
>> to learn. It's a sad fact, but while it's easy to install from source
>> in Linux,
>> it's still way too complicated for the unwashed masses. I did my time
>> on end-user support, and I have no illusions about their abilities on
>> this subject. It may be a 'visible' option, but users are blind.
> [snipped]
>
> I think this takes us back to the very nature of Linux, and the
> philosophy around which it was created.

I don't think so.

> Some Windows users want the simplicity of Windows on Linux, but Linux
> is not simple by design.  It preserves freedom by preserving choice
> based on the source code being available.  That means it is going to
> need to be compiled before it can be used, and so places a burden on
> the user.

There is no such burden. Linux comes precompiled as well as
in source code form.

> The more Linux tries to be "simple" and "like Windows", it is in danger
> of losing those freedoms of which we should all be watchful, lest we
> lose them.

That's just silly. One does not preclude the other.

> Many strides have been made to make it easier to use Linux:
> on the desktop, by decent package managers, by adherance to standards.
> But the fact is that Linux is principally about maintaining liberty in
> a centralised corporate world, and users will find it a bit more
> complex to learn.
>
> Anybody who does not want to do that, who want simplicity alone, might
> just as well look at Windows as their operating system of choice.

I think your reasoning is simplistic. You think that making Linux
"simple" for ordinary users will somehow take away your freedom.
In case you hadn't noticed, Linux has been made VERY simple to use
over the last few years. It has taken nothing away from Linux.
So I don't buy your argument at all.

--
Odd