Evolution send mail though proxy setting, how to? -- Simple test

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu May 14 23:50:24 UTC 2009

>> telnet ipofserver 25
>> {smtp greeting of server}
>> ehlo dude
>> {bunch of lines}
>> quit
>>

> I have tried our proxy "192.168.58.1". What's wrong? And it's absolutely
> our http proxy server via 8080 port. No auth required.
>
> $ telnet 192.168.58.1 25
> Trying 192.168.58.1...

because it is NOT a mail server?

Even you say 192.168.58.1 is a http proxy server. That is meant to proxy
your http requests and probably also cache the content that you want to
look at on the Internet.

Go ask your network admin to create a nat rule for the mail server you
want to connect to. Or try asking him to allow smtp/pop3 connections
through the http proxy server.