Binary incompatibility of Linux distributions

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu May 14 04:13:33 UTC 2009

> However, what I've seen here is complaints that installing software in Linux
> where there is no packaged binary is too hard and therefore Linux needs
> an easier way to install software.  I call rubbish on that train of
> thought.
With you here.

>   The difference here is that Linux actually makes installing
> from source so easy, relatively speaking, it becomes a visible option to
> the masses, whereas in Windows word, that kind of procedure would be way
> too daunting to even be considered among non-developers.

Are you saying run: 'tar zxf tarball.tgz, cd tarball, ./configure, make,
make install' is installing from source made so easy? Do you want to try
getting a Windows user to do: Start->Run. cmd. tarball.exe?
(notwithstanding the fact that double clicking on tarball.exe would have
been much easier)

Please just stick with your previous line of thinking and don't try to
push the envelope too much. You assume that people have no problems
navigating a console but they cannot if they know next to nothing about
the directory layout of their operating system.