Binary incompatibility of Linux distributions

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Thu May 14 01:35:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009 14:44:26 -0600
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Bill Gates and Microsoft jumped around and offered Windows 3.1 which
> ran on top of DOS, and was pretty poor but cheaper and a lot of
> people bought 3.1 including me. This was before Linux.

From:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rhasan/linux/
Linux version 0.01 was released by mid September 1991...

From:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_3.1x#Windows_3.2
Windows is a line of operating systems produced by Microsoft for use on
personal computers. The line began with Windows 3.1, which was released
in March 1992...

So, as you can see, Windows 3.1 was released /after/ Linux.
Of course, Linux wasn't the giant killer we all know and love today but
it /was/ released /before/ Win 3.1.

(Replies and follow-ups set to Sounder)

Cybe R. Wizard
--