Evolution send mail though proxy setting, how to? -- 2.26.1 still doesn't work!

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu May 14 00:06:56 UTC 2009

>> Why do you think the submission port (587) exists?
>>

> Why do you think the client would know or care?

Are we still talking about MUAs here? Or are you now including scripts
and whatever else that can submit emails?

>>> Ah, so now you're backing down from your absolute statement that proxies
>>> will be blacklisted.
>>>

>> Nope. Just clarifying or adding context.
>>

> Fine - but my objection was to the words you used, not (apparently) the ones
> you meant.

Proxy servers doing smtp tends to set off alarms.

>>> A proxy does whatever it is configured to do.
>>>

>> Proxy servers do not queue email and deliver them.
>>

> No, it doesn't, but if it's sitting between your client and a valid SMTP
> server, it doesn't need to.

Then a proxy server does not follow the rules of mail delivery. It
cannot be configured to do whatever it is configured to do as you
assert. It does what the email client asks it to do.

>>> My proxy says "connect to an SMTP server - if the destination is within
>>> the
>>> client's domain, use theirs, otherwise use mine".  If you get email from
>>> me, it's always routed correctly and if you block it there are blackhole
>>> lists for admins like you, too.
>>>

>> Link to proxy server that has some smtp smarts in it please.
>>

> It's my own proxy, and it _doesn't_ have smtp smarts - it just knows enough
> to choose which smarthost to connect to.

Sorry, that does not make sense. The smarthost is defined by the email
client and the request for a connection to the smarthost is done by the
email client. The proxy makes no decision on that. If it does not have
smtp smarts, it knows nothing. Nice try passing off 'my own proxy' as an
answer.

>> Oh, link to
>> blackhole lists for admins that block open proxies too
>>

> That's not what I said.  I said that if you block _valid_ emails, there are
> RBLs for you.  Nobody objects to blocking of open proxies.

Hahahaha. MY network, MY rules. That is another thing that exists
besides blacklists. BTW, link please to the rbls you are talking about?

>> Shall I post a thread on this in NANAE too? Maybe I will post a thread
>> on spam-l too.
>>

> Why not?  It's a free world, sorta.
>

>> I am sorry but people who configure squid to proxy smtp connections are
>> just asking for trouble.
>>

> Don't be sorry - I agree with you.  I just objected to the characterization
> that a proxy was always a bad idea, that it was necessarily "open", and that
> you can even tell the connection was proxied if the proxy is working
> properly.

I am sorry, but the mail admins on spam-l including those who run the
servers for outfits like Roadrunner, AOL, name-your-US-isp will disagree
with you and some even have systems that run probes to on connecting
hosts to check for non MTA software and you can guess what they do with
the results.

>> Link to sysadmins often insisting that a client should never talk smtp
>> at all? First time I have ever heard of that.
>>

> I've been in that argument numerous times (with me arguing that email
> clients _should_ speak SMTP), it wasn't hard to find an example just by
> googling for me, sendmail and smtp.  It's ubiquitous.  If you haven't heard
> it, I lose any confidence that you know what we're talking about.

We started with Evolution and Thunderbird. If you are now including
scripts and what not, then no, I do not know what you are talking about
as I have not brought that stuff in (they are irrelevant to this
discussion) nor do I see any explicit inclusion on your part.