Binary incompatibility of Linux distributions

Odd iodine at runbox.no
Wed May 13 23:46:00 UTC 2009

Rashkae wrote:
> Odd wrote:
>
>> End-users mostly aren't capable of that, and they shouldnt
>> need to be. If you want Linux to become more than a geek-only
>> OS, you need to realize this. Installing apps should be as easy,
>> or easier, than on Windows.
>>

> Installing apps in Linux, for just about any distro, already *is* easier
> than in windows, so long as there is a repo for your distro.

Yep. But that's not the case for all software.

> It's just
> very very different, (look in your package manager and select for
> installation, instead of downloading random binary executable and having
> it actually execute.  You may think this makes windows easier, but the
> end result is, it only makes windows unstable and insecure.)

It's easier, but as you say, it makes makes windows unstable and insecure.
I agree with what you're saying for the most part. I just wish for a better
interface for Synaptic, and a better way to install software not in repos.
Personally I have no problems compiling software or using other means,
but I do know how most people find it. They don't understand, and they
don't want to. So for these people, who are a huge majority of computer
usres, there should be better ways.

--
Odd