Ubuntu One: interesting concept!

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed May 13 23:02:24 UTC 2009

anthony baldwin wrote:
> Mark Nichols wrote:
>> On 05/13/2009 12:47 PM, H.S. wrote:
>>> Just saw this:
>>> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/05/hands-on-canonical-aims-for-the-cloud-with-new-ubuntu-one.ars
>>>
>>> Looks very interesting. I think a large set of users will love this
>>> feature who want to keep a set of files in sync across various machines.
>>> Plus it is bringing collaboration in a big way to Ubuntu and Linux!
>> I make heavy use of Dropbox (http://getdropbox.com). It's biggest plus
>> is that it has clients for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux, making it an
>> OS-agnostic synchronization service.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> It does look kind of useful.
> I just use sshfs to move files between my laptop and main box, though.
> Works pretty well.

Never tried sshfs, but I have used rsync (via ssh) for some years. Words
very well to keep my different directories in sync. However, rsync via
ssh is not for the common user. Not sure about sshfs. But this Ubuntu
One might be the solution for common users to keeps their stuff in sync.
Plus the scheduling and collaboration features look promising.

ever having been read.