Home directory as desktop.

hippie dream tonightsthenight at gmail.com
Wed May 13 22:12:18 UTC 2009

Hello All,

I was trying to install the longlines customization into emacs via the
terminal. Unfortunately, instead of moving one files I moved an entire
directory. Before I realized my mistake though I tried to move the folder
back. Here is what I did:

> sudo mv /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp /home/sam/Desktop     # So I was
> meaning to move one file from my desktop
# So then I thought to reverse this... This was stupid although not too
harmful it really just put the desktop directory into the emacs directory.
>  sudo mv /home/sam/Desktop /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp

Of course at this point I realized that I was not moving the file but an
entire directory. Now my home folder is shared with my Desktop. Any changes
made on my desktop affects my home folder. Any ideas on how I could reverse
this mess I've created? Instead of having Ubuntu load my entire home
directory onto the desktop, I would like it only to desktop a directory
aptly named 'Desktop' as it was previously.

Thanks in advance.

Sam