Binary incompatibility of Linux distributions

Odd iodine at runbox.no
Wed May 13 21:10:21 UTC 2009

anthony baldwin wrote:
> Odd wrote:
>> Steven Susbauer wrote:
>>> On Tue, 12 May 2009 10:33:43 -0500, Odd <iodine at runbox.no> wrote:
>   If you want Linux to become more than a geek-only
>> OS, you need to realize this. Installing apps should be as easy,
>> or easier, than on Windows.
>>

> Heck, I think opening Synaptic and having thousands of free applications
> downloadable and installable with a few clicks is a lot easier than
> going to Staples and buying software for windows and trying to load it
> from CDs.

People still buy boxed software in your country?
Synaptic is good, but not great. It could be better.
Also, the fact that there is so much software there could
be intimidating to newbies.
I'd like to have an alternative web front-end for it,
with more extensive descriptions, screenshots and filtering methods.
In it's current form, it's not particularly user-friendly.

--
Odd