Installing user apps

Mark Nichols ubuntu at zanshin.net
Wed May 13 20:37:07 UTC 2009

On 05/13/2009 02:39 PM, Verde Denim wrote:

> Yes, I am talking about installing NB in Ubuntu. The difference is that
> the version I found in the Ubuntu repo is 6.1 and I need 6.5 .

Why not use sudo apt-get install netbeans to let it install where it
wants, and then update it from within the application? (Coming from the
Mac OS X world, where ever application (nearly) has a "Check for
Updates..." menu option, this makes sense to me, but I'm not sure that
Netbeans provides that ability.)

Baring that, I put stuff like that in /opt. Have only just started this
practice so I don't know if there are any long term gotchas I haven't
discovered yet.

Mark