Unneeded services for server edition

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed May 13 17:04:48 UTC 2009

Hi!

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:03:31PM +0800, howard chen wrote:
> I have installed UBuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) server edition, by default, it
> auto started with the following services:
>
> apparmor
> atd
> bootlogs.sh
> console-setup
> cron
> dbus
> keyboard-setup
> klogd
> linux-restricted-modules-common
> module-init-tools
> ondemand
> pppd-dns
> procps
> rsync
> sysklogd
> udev
> udev-finish
> x11-common
> acpid
> avahi-daemon

Just a comment: these are all init scripts, but not all of them start
services (if by "services" we understand daemons running in the
background).  E.g. bootlogs.sh

> but are they all needed?

Depends.  It's safe to leave them alone.

> at least, I think avahi-daemon, x11-common, rsync should be disabled
> for standard server (e.g. apache, mysql etc)

If you're not going to us mDNS, feel free to apt-get remove avahi-daemon.
I'm pretty sure x11-common isn't going to be used on a server, but since
all it does is create and chown/chmod a couple of directories in /tmp,
what's the harm?  The rsync init script will check whether you want it
enabled in /etc/default/rsync and, since by default it's disabled, won't
actually start anything.

> Any comments?

I'd recommend that you leave the init scripts alone.  If you're not
going to use some service, apt-get remove it.

Marius Gedminas
--
Just a note: quantum gravity discussions are _clearly_ on-topic in
c.l.py.