9.04: no "third party" apps available ?

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Wed May 13 15:41:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 16:23 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 2009 08:40:15 -0500
> sktsee <sktsee at tulsaconnect.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmm. Did you remember to update the package list after editing your
> > sources.list?
>
> Yes, well the GUI did it for me. I used the "Software Sources" tool in
> the Admin menu to modify the URL, and it asked me to update the index,
> so I did it from there.
>
> > $ sudo apt-get update
>
> I just did like this too... just in case the GUI tool had some bug
> causing it to fail to do it. BUt, still nothing in sight sadly.

Doh, the packages show up in Synaptic, but I didn't double-check
Add/Remove and you're right, they don't show up there. I noticed
that /usr/share/app-install/channels/jaunty-partner.list also had the
wrong deb url in it as well. But the real reason that no third-party
apps show up in the Add/Remove list is that the app-install-data-partner
package does not come with any *.desktop files for any packages in
Canonical's jaunty repository.

> > I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, really. The only packages in
> > Canonical's jaunty repository seems to be Adobe's Acroread and
> > Flashplugin. You can just go to
> > http://archive.canonical.com/pool/pool/partner/a/ to get those packages.
>
> Yeah sure, I was more thinking of filing the bug report for the sake of
> shaking blatant/highly visible bugs, so that it "just works" for the
> clueless people which are the main target of this Add/Remove tool.
> I would rather like things to work for people... shipping
> essential (GUI apps target at Ubuntu's core audience of non-techy
> people) yet non-working features, can't possibly do Ubuntu any good,
> reputation-wise. So since I like Ubuntu, I would rather help it stay in
> shape ;-)

When you file the bug, you should file it against the apt and
app-install-data-partner packages. Both have incorrect url's for the
Canonical repository, and app-install-data-partner has no
appropriate .desktop files for the Add/Remove Third-party list of
applications.

--
sktsee