permission

allen meyers texas.chef94 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 15:01:29 UTC 2009

allen meyers wrote:
> allen at allen-desktop:~$ mount

> /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)
> /dev/sdb2 on /media/data_ type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)

> /dev/sdb2 on /media type ext4 (rw)

That doesn't look right. /dev/sdb2 is mounted at "/media/data_" and
also
at "/media". That hides everything else mounted at "/media/*". Did you
mount it manually there? Anyway, I would suggest you use the command

sudo umount /media

to make it a single mount. Maybe you that was the real problem and you
can then access both partitions already. Otherwise I would assume you
can't write to any of the partitions. As you have ext4 partitions the
commands to make directories for you would be something like this:

sudo mkdir /media/disk/$USER
sudo mkdir /media/data_/$USER
sudo chown $USER: /media/disk/$USER
sudo chown $USER: /media/data_/$USER

Nils
allen at allen-desktop:~$ allen at allen-desktop:~$ sudo umount /media
bash: allen at allen-desktop:~$: command not found
allen at allen-desktop:~$ [sudo] password for allen:
bash: [sudo]: command not found
allen at allen-desktop:~$ allen at allen-desktop:~$ sudo
mkdir /media/disk/allen
bash: allen at allen-desktop:~$: command not found
allen at allen-desktop:~$ mkdir: cannot create directory
`/media/disk/allen': Input/output error

I am trying

Allen