The future of Ubuntu Linux.... Will it make Micky$oft go bankrupt?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed May 13 13:49:35 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> I wonder where the name comes from? Off to the web site... :-)
>>

> Terrible site, I would not send potential Windows users there.

Ugh, yes, I remember...

> 1) If the user looks for "ekiga" via google, then the url is
> gnomemeeting.org for some reason. What is that? (Yes, _I_ know, but
> should I have to explain that to potential users?).

Gnomemeeting was a much better name.

> If the user types
> in ekiga.com then she arrives at ekiga.net. Redirect? That scares
> Windows users, who suspect malware and trickery. In my Windows days, I
> would have left right here.

I disagree with you there - I don't think the average Windows user will even
notice.  I don't think most of the ones who do will suspect trickery - but
if they're both the same location (they are), what's wrong with showing the
URL the user used, rather than the canonical form? - it's a simple Apache
config.

> 2) "Downloads: Choose your distribution below and start downloading."
> What is a distribution? How do I download this? Where is the big green
> "download here" animated GIF?

That's a bit picky, but again, it's not that difficult to use a single
button to download, have the web server identify your most likely OS, and
offer you a chance to change it if necessary.

> 5) If the user actually follows the hyperlink then she goes to an
> Apache directory listing. This is what she sees:
> [   ] ekiga-setup-3.0.1beta-7144.exe  02-Oct-2008 23:08   18M
> [   ] ekiga-setup-3.0.2beta-7316d.exe 02-Nov-2008 09:59   65M
>
> Which one should she click on? How much further do you think she is
> going to get?

It's probably not that serious if only betas are available for Windows - but
when they have an actual release version, I hope it's much simpler.
--
derek