Skype vs Ekiga vs hardware sip phones

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Wed May 13 10:22:10 UTC 2009

<snip>
Christopher Chan wrote:
> Amedee Van Gasse (Ubuntu) wrote:
> For the user yeah...I hope the school does not get a cisco ip phone
> solution. If they do, I hope Cisco won't go the way Nortel did. Can't
> get it through their heads that a blooming company don't mean it's
> eternal...now asterisk...that's eternal with multiple possible support
> choices should I get hit by a bus. BTW, I corrected your subject header :P
</snip>

I am using a SIP box with two analog lines connected to the CDX (Compact
Digital Switch) and as you say Chan, I can freely choose my SIP exchange.
This is important for the future development, stability and price.  Skype
was well functioning, but they had price issues they lust ignored because
they thought they would get the total market dominance.  I also feel that
their popularity has fallen at least in the west.  Support your company
with a fact sheet about what is available of SIP, from whom and thus let
the company feel they made a great decision  :-)

--
                           Carl Friis-Hansen