Evolution send mail though proxy setting, how to? -- 2.26.1 still doesn't work!

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed May 13 02:18:11 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>

>> Could be a generic Gnome thing for all I know. I do not use Evolution.
>> You won't find any proxy setting in Thunderbird. Proxy servers caught
>> facilitating smtp connections will be firewalled, blocked and placed on
>> appropriate black lists.
>>

> That's a really poor attitude, and likely to get _your_ servers blacklisted.

Ha! You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you heard about
open proxies?

> There's nothing inherently wrong with proxying SMTP connections.

So long as they are connecting to their smarthosts to submit their email
and other than the fact that natting is most probably the better way to
allow smtp/submission/smtps/pop3/imap connections. Oh, that is besides
the fact that this capability is inherently meant to get around
firewalls and most likely, therefore, company policy if the network
administrator did not open up email related connections in the
firewall/gateway.

> Essentially, that's what we do every time we use a local SMTP as a smarthost
> - and it's how you _avoid_ getting placed on blacklists, by ensuring that
> all your mail gets properly routed.

Any proxy server connecting to anything other than a smarthost will be
blacklisted and blocked locally. Standard antispam practice. That is why
blacklists that solely list open proxies exist. 'Anything other than
another mail server trying to connect to my mail server to deliver mail
will be blocked' is standard across all ISPs, mail administrators and a
basic criteria for listing in blacklists.

Using a local SMTP as a smarthost is NOT the same as using a proxy
server. Period. A proxy server does not follow the rules of mail
delivery. It does what it is told by the email client (connect to
smtp.gmail.com please). A mta looks up the mx of the recipient domain in
the email and connects accordingly. Any 'mta' that does anything else
will get itself listed and blocked. Period.

>> Email clients are supposed to connect directly.
>>

> BS.

Using a proxy server to handle SMTP/POP3/IMAP is the whacky thing to do
because natting provides for this without the overhead of an application
handling these connections and it is therefore circumventing the setup
of the network. The fact that using a proxy server does not work all the
time is evident that admins with clue know to reject smtp/pop3/imap
requests. Therefore, I reiterate, email clients are supposed to connect
directly to their smarthosts.