The future of Ubuntu Linux.... Will it make Micro$oft go bankrupt?

Franz Waldmüller waldbauernbub at gmx.at
Tue May 12 20:06:55 UTC 2009

Ashley Benton schrieb:
> 2009/5/12 Franz Waldmüller <waldbauernbub at gmx.at>
>> Give your sons a flashdrive with openoffice portable installed.
>> http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
>
> That's a good idea, now he uses the flash drive to bring the saved document.
> I will check it out and try with Windows to make sure that he knows how to
> make it work (In case they are using Mac at school does it work the same way
> than with Windows?)

On a MAC-Operating System Wine has to be installed.

If you want to ensure that the created files are displayed on every
operating system the same way make sure that only openoffice fonts are
used. This problem is independent from the linux windows discussion: The
fonts are not, unlike to a pdf document, saved in the file. When the
document is opened but the used font not installed the application will
use the most similar font.
This can happen between two windows-PCs as well. Use the font installed
by e.g. a printer software and open it on a PC where the font is not
installed.

Unfourtunately I don't know how to use especially free/openoffice fonts.
I would like to restrict myself to these.
--> users at openoffice.org

For presentations I recommend PDFs. If you don't use fancy animations
you are better off with PDF.

Franz