Missing Linux apps on Windows

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 18:58:00 UTC 2009

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 May 2009 14:35:31 Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> I certainly hope not!  No system of mine has ever had a full implementation
>> of vi.  Ubuntu installs vim-tiny, and _that's_ too much.
>>

> And here was I labouring under the delusion that *every* Unix-like system had
> it.  That was the argument by which I was pressurised to learn it.  (Not that
> I did.  I can cope with vim if I have to, but would need a crib to use vi.)
>
> But I don't like it either, Derek.  (Isn't that heresy? ;-)  )
>
> Lisi

    Those who are real old liked "joe" because it was and still is a
Word Star editor, that can be used when you need a Pure ascii file. I
still like joe because I know how to use it. I learned VI in the very
early days, but was happy to forget it when joe came out.

    The new guys, and I, like Gedit too. You can start Gedit from the
command line as root with a sudo and it can do anything VI ever did.

Karl