CollabCAD (was Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 57, Issue 183

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 12 16:19:17 UTC 2009

Please people - change the subject when you're responding to digests...

sg1 wrote:

> Every one keeps on saying that there Grand Mother and six year old son
> can use Ubunta, the problem is that it is easy to install and use email
> and surfing the web but when it comes to installing programs is next to
> impossible, I do not mean the add/remove programs, but programs that
> have been independently written, one waste so much time on trying to
> install the programs with out any success like collabcad.
>
> The instructions said quote "After downloading the file, type the
> following command
>
> tar xvzf collabcad.tgz

Would you expect this to work on Windows?  Then why would you expect it to
work in Ubuntu?  This isn't how we generally install programs in Ubuntu.
However, the beautiful thing is that it _is_ generally possible to get a
program like that installed - it's harder than installing Ubuntu software,
but it's a darn sight easier than installing it in Windows.

> This will install CollabCAD on your system by creating the directory
> called ccad.
>
> Typed in "tar xvzf collabcad.tgz" into terminal window and just error
> messages appeared.
>
> There is no where on the help menu or web page that tells anyone on how
> to use the terminal properly to install programs.

If you're installing that way, you're expected to have learned that much
already.
--
derek