The future of Ubuntu Linux.... Will it make Micro$oft go bankrupt?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 12 13:32:03 UTC 2009

> On Mon, 11 May 2009, Amedee Van Gasse (Ubuntu) wrote:
>
>> My opinion is that the name of that company is (or has been in the past)
>> "Micro Soft" (two words) or "MicroSoft" (CamelCase) or "Microsoft" (one
>> word). It's name is not Micro$oft with a dollar sign,
..
>> Writing a monetary symbol in the name of a company is prejudice and

Of course it is.  What's actually _wrong_ with that?

>> brings unwanted emotional arguments into the debate. It shows little
>> respect for a serious competitor for Linux in the operating system
>> market,

What makes you think it's a competitor?  How can M$ ever compete with Free
software?  What's the "market"?

>> it is childish behavior, and I doubt if it agrees with the Ubuntu
>> Code of Conduct.

I've seen people bashed with the COC too often, but that really takes the
cake.

>> Microsoft is not the Evil Empire,

I beg to differ.

>> Or just ignore Microsoft if you are not capable of a
>> professional attitude.

Now, you've really got my back up.  What does "professionalism" have to do
with debate on a LINUX list?  The only thing wrong with this debate is that
it belongs on sounder, not ubuntu-user.
--
derek