The future of Ubuntu Linux.... Will it make Micky$oft go bankrupt?

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Tue May 12 10:57:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, 12 May 2009 10:57:23 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Only version 2.x of Skype, which is far behind the Windows version in
> terms of features. Recently Skype had a contest that to enter required
> one to use the Windows version of Skype only to enter: Linux Skype
> users could not participate.
[snipped]

I don't know why uses on Linux persist in using Skype.  SIP can be used
by a wide variety of softphones (eg. ekigia, twinkle, linphone, etc),
there are wide variety of providers, and usually I find the audio
better.

My provider of choice, Freespeech, has an offer of a free Voip gateway
at the moment, to connect home phones to the Voip services.
(http://www.freespeech.co.uk/home/index.html)

SIP is a wholly free protocol (as in unfettered) and I do not see the
need to use Skype for anything else but circumstances (such as the
office system) where you can't ditch it.

--

Graham Todd