Virtual Website Problems

Erasmus, P, Mnr <perasmus@sun.ac.za> perasmus at sun.ac.za
Tue May 12 10:10:49 UTC 2009

Hi There,

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy, as a virtual apache server. I have about 10 websites running from this machine. One of my websites, I have setup access control with an .htaccess file. My problem is that on the local network I can access the website and login, but from outside it does not want to work. In my apache log I get the following message.

Wed May 06 10:02:38 2009] [error] [client 41.208.11.176] user test: authentication failure for "/example/test/example": Password Mismatch

My password on the website has a few special characters, when removing the characters it work fine from outside. Password characters &!@. I just want to know how is it that when using this characters in my password, the website does not want to work from the outside of my network. But it still works from inside.

Regards
Paul