Missing Linux apps on Windows

Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon May 11 23:30:43 UTC 2009

Pete Holsberg schreef:

> There are a few apps for which I have not found Linux-equivalents. For
> example, Adobe Dreamweaver.

Just like there are a few Linux/GNU/Free Software apps for which I have
not found Windows-equivalents. For example, grep, sed, awk, vi.
I know that there is cygwin, and there is also gnuwin, but these are not
original Windows-equivalents. They are just the original software
recompiled for Windows, and often lacking some interesting features.
Anyway, *every* Linux distro has them installed by default, but you have
to jump trough hoops to get them on Windows.
Srsly, I cannot imagine how any system administrator could ever survive
without grep...