Alternatives to nagios

Mark Miller mr.mcmiller at gmail.com
Mon May 11 16:52:55 UTC 2009

I've been looking at Nagios as a possible network manager.  Someone on the
list mentioned there were others I might look at.  Everything I'm finding on
the net is pretty dated (2006-2007).

Here's my situation.

I'm a high school English teacher who has a PC computer lab of 28 computers
running 9.04.  The installation is brand new and we're just starting to
learn how to use it effectively.

I would like to have a monitoring tool installed on the teacher machine
(it's not a server) that will "watch" the technical aspects of all 28
systems.

This would be something down the lines of Italc (which is a teacher-manager
piece that allows control of the student desktops and broadcasting of
activity on the teacher machine for the students to see) except that it
would watch the technical side.

I'm not a techie; I'm researching for the tech office.

The teacher machine is also used by teachers (that's why it's called a
teacher machine I guess) for their regular work.

If this is making any sense, can you make any recommendations?  You'll need
to speak slowly and use small words.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.  I love this list.

I'm running another copy of gmail in another window and just read the email
about not using html.  Sorry if this one causes problems; I'll do better in
the future.

mcm

--
Mark C. Miller