The future of Ubuntu Linux.... Will it make Micro$oft go bankrupt?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon May 11 08:06:33 UTC 2009

> About bankrupcy: I hope that Microsoft will never go bankrupt. That would
> not be good for the economy and for the software ecology. I believe in a
> darwinian struggle for software: continuous improval to be better than the
> competition.

Ha! Who needs Microsoft? Just looking into the Linux world you get
plenty of improvements due to competition. You get that just within the
Linux kernel. You get that in the desktop world. Whether Microsoft
exists or not, there will be no end to competition. What is really
needed is some good vision here and there and some good implementors
supporting those visions. I most certainly hope that Microsoft will go
bankrupt thus have a major resource sinkhole that does not really put
out anything great disappear.

> I would be much happier to see a Microsoft that adopts Open Standards, and
> they are already taking very small steps in the good direction. Microsoft
> may even have a majority market share, say somewhere between 60% and 70%.
> That leaves enough room for other players like Linux, Mac, and of course
> BSD, Solaris and other *real* Unixes.

Why do you think a lot of people hoped for Microsoft to be carved into
three separate companies?