KDE eradication and now ...

Roy Smith amigaman at rsmith59.heliohost.org
Mon May 11 03:58:03 UTC 2009

Karl Larsen wrote:
>     When I started this morning to try kde I made several errors of
> ignorance. Alas the Ubuntu system does not protect us from ignorance. I
> was able to do $ sudo aptitude install kde and it sent me a whole lot of
> files. But didn't work. Error 1.
>
>     Since this didn't work I then started the synpatic file system and
> it also has a lot of kde files. I clicked on kde and a whole bunch were
> lit up. I installed these files. I then got a real kde desktop but it
> didn't work properly. Error 2.
>
>     Just now I did a couple of "remove" things and now I have what
> appears to be a clean gnome based 8.10 that works because this message
> is typed on it.
>
>     Now I plan to use the $ sudo aptitude kubuntu-desktop   and see what
> damage it can do. At least I will have just one thing to remove if it
> fails :-)

If you want to get the complete KDE desktop then do this in a terminal:

$ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop kde

If you want to see what's going to be installed then do this:

$ aptitude show kubuntu-desktop
$ aptitude show kde

This will show you all the packages that will be installed, naturally
any duplicates between the two meta-packages will be ignored.

--

Roy Smith
Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jakalope