Network upgrade from Hardy directly to Jaunty

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 11 01:44:58 UTC 2009

On 05/10/2009 12:04 PM, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> I know, I know, the answer should be no, you can't directly upgrade
> by network from Hardy to Jaunty.
>
> But then again, why use Linux if you can't hack 'em?
>
> What I did was: 1. Rename lsb_release to something else:
>
> sudo mv /bin/lsb_release /bin/old.lsb_release

sudo mv /usr/bin/lsb_release /usr/bin/old.lsb_release

> 2. Create new lsb_release:
>
> sudo vim /bin/lsb_release #!/bin/sh echo "intrepid" exit 0

gksu gedit /usr/bin/lsb_release
#!/bin/sh
echo "intrepid"
exit 0

> 3. Fix permission for lsb_release:
>
> chmod 755 /bin/lsb_release

sudo chmod 755 /usr
/bin/lsb_release

> 4. Fire up the upgrade process:

Insert jaunty alternate cd.
- gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Note: '/media/cdrom0/' can be '/cdrom' - just depends on your system

At: 'Include latest updates from the internet' I selected No as I wanted
to first test just installing from the Alternate CD and then fetching
the additional updates later.

Got: No valid mirror found... do you want to rewrite your 'sources.list'
anyway? If you choose 'Yes' here it will update all 'intrepid to
'jaunty' entries... I selected 'Yes'.

Got: Can't install 'kubuntu-desktop' It was impossible to install a
required package. Please report this as a bug.

Got: Do you want to start the upgrade... - selected 'Start Upgrade':
17:12 PST.
18:06 PST: completed - 'Restart Now' - booted into Jaunty - weird:
kubuntu login screen comes up. Login & what should appear Kubuntu!
No clue how that happened... it was a Gnome system previously. Mind you,
that I've done hardy-intrepid-jaunty upgrades from this alternate CD in
the past w/no kubuntu.

Figure out how to use 'Knonsole' and 'sudo apt-get install
ubuntu-desktop' & get unmet dependencies. So I do the 'sudo apt-get -f
install' & that wants to remove 'kubuntu-desktop', say 'Y'. I'm a
'Gnomer'... been there, done that w/KDE. After, issue 'sudo apt-get
install ubuntu-desktop' again & let it fix the 'K' problem.

18:27 PST: Restart. Autologin works & Gnome is back!. The Gnome is
alive, it's Jaunty & desktop look the same. Fire up synaptic &
reset/enable proper repositories. Partial update 253.3Mb.

Of course there's still a lot of updates/work to clean things up & I
won't know which apps are borked because of the 'upgrade' until I use
them all.

> Now, I need someone else to confirm this and maybe anyone else
> blogging these hacks somewhere since I didn't find anything similar
> from Google. Thanks.

Bottom line... it works, but I'd recommend against it unless you're
prepared to deal with the above issues + any issues that you run across
w/apps later.