How to get a KDE to run

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 10 21:40:16 UTC 2009

--- On Sun, 5/10/09, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: How to get a KDE to run
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Sunday, May 10, 2009, 3:53 PM
> Nigel Henry wrote:

> sudo aptitude install kde and it
> Gnome Window Manager. It said
> setting the default properly.

> screen you can choose what
> default.
> >>>
> >>     Not on this laptop. I got it to stop at the
> screen to login with and
> >> clicked on options and looked at everything and no
> kde was even mentioned.
> >>
> >> So the heck with kde. It's too hard to get
> working on 8.10. I am sure it
> >> is all installed but it sure is not working...
> >>

> >> Karl
> >>

> > Hi Karl.
> >
> > That's odd. Normally you enter your login name,
> then the session button
> > appears, and you can select which you want to login
> to, KDE, Gnome, whatever.
> >
> > Nigel.
> >

>     What I did was get the synaptic running and had it
> reload kde and
> now I have a new login window with flowers and such, but
> when I get to
> the desktop it looks like a Gnome with under Applications I
> have a whole
> lot of kde type as well as gedit and the usual gnome tools.
> It is
> possible I have kde running now. But IS IT running right?
> That is a
> question :-)
>
> Karl

Karl, I run kde and it sounds like you are still running gnome. The first time you run kde from another WM session, you do have to select it.  If kde is not on the options icon, try installing kubuntu-desktop.
I've installed many ubuntu  and kde versions and I know you do have to select a kde session the first time(not the default session which gives me gnome every time). If kde doesn't show up on the options icon, something is wrong.  Try reinstalling kubuntu-desktop or installing it if it's the first time.  HTH.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net