How to get a KDE to run

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 21:27:52 UTC 2009

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 10 May 2009 20:40, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:

>>> When it boots and you come to the gnome login screen you can choose what
>>> kind of session you want and what you want as default.
>>>
>>     Not on this laptop. I got it to stop at the screen to login with and
>> clicked on options and looked at everything and no kde was even mentioned.
>>
>> So the heck with kde. It's too hard to get working on 8.10. I am sure it
>> is all installed but it sure is not working...
>>

>> Karl
>>

> Hi Karl.
>
> That's odd. Normally you enter your login name, then the session button
> appears, and you can select which you want to login to, KDE, Gnome, whatever.
>
> Nigel.

    Well now I discover why people hate KDE. I did finally get the
KDE/Gnome switch to work but not without screwing up Gnome AND KDE.

    For some reason when KDE was ready to come up Gnome decided to
forget how to reach the wifi it has used for months. Also there is a
flurry of password problems that I can't fix because they are not mine!

    And at this time I have to stop the system by opening a terminal and
using sudo reboot!!!!

    It is safe to say the quickest fix to all this may be a reload of 8.10.

Karl