Visually Impaired List Members

Lorenzo Taylor daxlinux at gmail.com
Sun May 10 20:58:24 UTC 2009

It's hard to know where to post bug reports when something could be wrong
anywhere on a rather long chain of libraries and apps. I don't think Thunderbird
has a bug in it whereby it's nearly impossible to skip quoting, although it may
have a part in it. The same seems to be true when using Evolution, except there
seems to be no p and o navigation functionality there. Here's how the system
basically works in Linux. Note that I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to
programming, so maybe an accessibility expert can jump in here. Is Luke from the
accessibility team on this list? Poke.

There is a desktop environment, currently Gnome, in which applications are run
and windows are created and manipulated. In this desktop environment there is an
accessibility layer, called atspi which allows the applications to communicate
with the screen reader and other assistive technologies. But it isn't even as
simple as this. Somewhere either between the applications and atspi or between
atspi and the screen reader is what appears to me to be another accessibility
module called Gail and another called ATK, (accessibility tool kit). There are
also other things called Bonobo, corba, orbit and the list goes on, and I don't
know what these things do, other than the fact that the Orca developers and
others interested in accessibility for assistive technologies are looking for
new accessibility implementations that will work without much of these things,
as many of them are deprecated in general practice and are scheduled for removal
in a future version of Gnome. Apparently, working around these things will also
allow KDE to become compatible with Orca in the future, but for some years now I
have heard that this compatibility is on the way but isn't here yet. A shame,
really, since I have heard a lot of good things about KDE and wish like anything
I could bang on it a little. Using Thunderbird as an example, when I read an
email, I turn on an option called karet mode. This puts a movable cursor into
the message that allows me to navigate it using the arrow keys and other methods
including the p and o (paragraph and large object) methods. Note that adding the
shift key to these and other navigation keys will allow me to move backward the
same ways. Also note that these navigation keys and karet mode are the same
functions available in Firefox. The problem with skipping quoted text in
Thunderbird is that it's unclear if Orca, which is the screen reader, simply
hasn't implemented a navigation function to skip quoted text or if it can't see
what is quoted and what is not because either Thunderbird itself doesn't
communicate this information or it gets lost somewhere along the chain of
accessibility libraries.

The Orca list is one where I have seen very little posting styles other than
either top posting or simply not quoting at all. However, it is on the Orca list
where discussions take place quite regularly regarding removal of pulseaudio
because it has some bugs that people don't feel like reporting and they just
want to chuck the whole thing in the trash instead, even though in spite of its
bugs, Pulse is about the best thing for making most desktop PC sound work as
expected without a lot of difficulty. Therefore, the Orca list seems to not be
the best way to determine best practices for visually impaired users, although
in recent weeks I may have changed the tone of the Pulse discussions by
contributing my own trying to find out where best to report a problem I was
having and to find a way to work around it without removing it or not using it.
It may be possible, however, that someone there may know if there is a way to
skip quoting that I don't know about or if it could be implemented, since the
Orca developers themselves hang out there. I will poke the list to find out if
this is the case.

Live long and prosper,
Lorenzo
--