Network upgrade from Hardy directly to Jaunty

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 10 20:50:37 UTC 2009

On 05/10/2009 12:04 PM, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> I know, I know, the answer should be no, you can't directly upgrade
> by network from Hardy to Jaunty.
>
> But then again, why use Linux if you can't hack 'em?
>
> What I did was: 1. Rename lsb_release to something else:
>
> sudo mv /bin/lsb_release /bin/old.lsb_release
>
> 2. Create new lsb_release:
>
> sudo vim /bin/lsb_release #!/bin/sh echo "intrepid" exit 0
>
> 3. Fix permission for lsb_release:
>
> chmod 755 /bin/lsb_release
>
> 4. Fire up the upgrade process:
>
> sudo do-release-upgrade
>
> Now, I need someone else to confirm this and maybe anyone else
> blogging these hacks somewhere since I didn't find anything similar
> from Google. Thanks.

Interesting... I've got a hardy test drive/system & instead of trying
via the network I'm thinking of trying with the jaunty alternate CD. On
step 4, insert the Jaunty Alternate CD instead.

While the upgrade will most likely work (yours did eh?), I don't think
that you'll find all the bits that may have gone missing in the process
until later down the road, when an app doesn't quite work just right.
But if it does work properly (with all apps), then it certainly will
save a considerable amount of time upgrading desktops.