The future of Ubuntu Linux.... Will it make Micro$oft go bankrupt?

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Sun May 10 18:39:18 UTC 2009

On Sunday 10 May 2009 17:54:23 Raquel wrote:
> However, with Linux, whatever distribution, we must do our own
> installation.

Not necessarily.  Some computers now come with Linux pre-installed.  There are
those of us who set them up for third parties and advertise our presence.  I
have several clients who have changed to or started on Linux and have
absolutely no problems.  Kids can just sit down and use them.  My
granddaughter (who lives with us in the term time) uses Linux.  She has a Mac
computer at home in Japan.  I gather that she rarely touches it.  Here she
has a desktop which dual boots PCLinuxOS and Debian and a laptop (which now
goes back to Japan with her) running OpenSuSE.  She says that she uses her
laptop all the time in Japan.  Friends of her age (13/14) who come to visit
her never blink an eyelid and cope fine.

I agree that Windows still dominates the market in the developed world, but
Linux is gaining ground and it is no longer true to say that to use Linux one
has to install it oneself.

Lisi