postfix or exim

Preston Kutzner shizzlecash at gmail.com
Sun May 10 14:37:28 UTC 2009

On May 9, 2009, at 5:05 PM, Noah wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am hoping to set up an ubuntu box for handling mail.  What is the
> Best
> MTA - exim or postfix?  Is there some pages that can explain the
> differences?

I personally prefer to use Postfix.  It is easy to configure (IMO) and
there is a good amount of documentation available for it.  The
configuration files are well-documented and it is a secure and fast
MUA.  I did find this side-by-side comparison page on the Intarwebs;
do note, however that it is from 2003 so some of these facts may have
changed by this point:  http://www.geocities.com/mailsoftware42/

As far as some of the things on the list are concerned, it is true
that Postfix doesn't have built-in integration with IMAP/POP, it hands
those responsibilities off to other daemons like Dovecot, UW, or
Cyrus.  Postfix's philosophy seems to follow the UNIX philosophy of
doing one thing, but doing it very well.  Post fix does one thing,
SMTP, but it does it very well, and is easy to configure.  With
regards to quotas, the list says it's possible with a patch for
Postfix.  While this is true to get Postfix specifically to support
quotas, it is possible to use quotas if you set up Postfix to use
Dovecot as it's mail delivery back-end.  I do have a system set up
like this, and it does work well.  Unfortunately, documentation is a
little hard to come by to get Postfix set-up with SASL and Dovecot and
virtual domains/mailboxes.

If you're looking for ease-of config for Postfix and are wanting to
use virtual domains/mailboxes, you could check out the postfixadmin
package.  It's a php front-end to administering virtual domains/
mailboxes in Postfix.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?