The future of Ubuntu Linux.... Will it make Micro$oft go bankrupt?

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sun May 10 01:00:04 UTC 2009

Brittany wrote:
> Although it may sound ridiculous having to hear that Micro$oft went
> bankrupt because of a free Open Source Operating system such as
> Ubuntu... Is it really possible? I've noticed since my first
> experience with running Linux (Mostly Ubuntu) that it's getting
> progressively easier to use. You no longer have to be a geek (I said
> this in a complimentary way, no insults!) to use Linux.
>
> What's your opinion?

No. Not until 1) Ubuntu offers the same range of control as one can get
on Windows via Group Policies [can someone please port kiosktool over to
KDE4 - this is the only 'group policy' tool that works on Linux but it
only works with KDE 3.x or the latest Debian stable], 2) there is a mass
uptake of apps on Ubuntu for business needs [which will in turn drive
home user needs] especially stuff like Microsoft Office replacements
[dream on - no Outlook <-> Exchange replacement available/Sharepoint]
and 3) some serious  'standard' integration between user management and
other stuff like mailboxes, sip address, whatever you can tie into your
user account and tools to manage those settings.

Ubuntu being easy to use has nothing to do with toppling over
Microsoft's chokehold. I suspect getting two of the above points sorted
out will seriously start a move over from Microsoft to Linux given the
many other advantages of Linux over Windows.