GRUB ERROR 17 help!!!!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 9 21:37:20 UTC 2009

On 05/09/2009 12:58 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 05/08/2009 11:19 PM, John Heinen wrote:
>>
>>> Computer with wind xp and dreamlinux  stalled with the message
>>> GRUB LOADING PLEASE WAIT   error 17,  I have tried to
>>> The 9.04 version of grub uses inode size of 256, the others are most
>>> likely using 128. Perhaps reinstalling grub from dreamlinux will work.
>>>
>     I must ask, why do you rate Grub by inode size? I have seen inode
> when talking about file systems, but never when talking grub.
>
>     Is the Grub inode what it uses as the MBR size? If so they are both
> small :-)

I don't understand all of it myself, but it has to do with supporting
ext4. See:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6480/1/
[GRUB vs. the Inodes: Who Needs a Bootable System, Anyway?]
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6480/2/
[Fixing It]
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6480/3/
[Repairing a Multi-boot Linux]

Not sure it that should be considered an 'authoritative' source, but it
seems to be a good explanation w/references (Resources).