GRUB ERROR 17 help!!!!

Faizan Kazi faizan.s.kazi at gmail.com
Sat May 9 08:25:40 UTC 2009

John Heinen wrote:
> Computer with wind xp and dreamlinux  stalled with the message
> GRUB LOADING PLEASE WAIT   error 17,  I have tried to restart with
> windows and dreamlinux and puppy and others,  have checked and checked
> many many treads but can't find anything to get  the computer going?

Ok, so this kinda stuff happens pretty often with dual boots when
something changes. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm going to help
you fix it so it doesnt bother you again.

Do this:
Grab a cd of Ubuntu, and boot into a "live session". (it gives you an
option on boot to "boot into the cd" to try out ubuntu)
Open up a terminal: Applications menu >> Accessories >> Terminal
type in "sudo fdisk -l"
copy the output from there and put it in a reply to this email, so i can
help you figure things out better.
also, MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS:
"sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst"
copy all the contents from the text file, but them in an email and send
them to me along with any other output you gather.

Now if you do know what youre doing or just want to try to fix it
immediately, try this: (this stuff should not harm your pc in any way,
it can be "un-done" in a way)
in the terminal window you had opened, typing in "sudo grub"
type in "root (hd0,linuxPartitionNumber-1)" for example "root (hd0,5)"
for me because my linux partition is on Drive 0, Partition 6...
just use tab completion after typing "root (" if youre not sure. keep
pressing the "Tab" key and it will give you options.
anyways, after completing that step you need to set up Grub. so type
"setup (hd0)"
it should give a small message. copy that and email that to us too if
you can. hopefully everything will go fine as long as you did the last
two steps correctly.

youre done!!
you should be able to boot into your linux installation.
get back to me later about getting your windows entry back in grub!!