Inappropriate tone on this mailing list and requirement for governance

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 19:09:07 UTC 2009

Res wrote:
>> willing to explain them (once) if asked.
>> A closed FL/OSS anything smells hypocritical to me.
>
> its all about accountability to the list owners, any discussion
> should be in relation only to a breach of the CoC, nothing more.

I think you summed it right. The Community Council is the one
responsible for the decisions, because moderators are only applying the
Code of Conduct. Should somebody feel he has been treated unfairly, such
matter can be ultimately be brought before the Council. Which then will
have to reassess either the choice of moderators, or more probably the
formation/instructions given to them. Of course, it's highly unlikely
any need for it will arise - moderators are hold to standards even
stricter than what the CoC asks.

There's no "secrecy" anywhere. The moderation is done in-list, and
should somebody feel they have been treated unfairly, they can email the
moderators (just a look at the mailing list description, or at a
possible moderator mailing list's subscribers). Even when private
emailing, you get to keep the emails in your sentbox and inbox, and so
do the moderators (in case only one receive a subscriber's reply, it's
easy to forward for discussion).

Loïc