Adding Startup Apps on Jaunty not working

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri May 8 18:40:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:30 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> For a little background, see the "Adding apps to startup could be made
> easier" thread.

That's a novel, not background :-)

> Updating from hardy-intrepid-jaunty I now find that applications that
> I've added to the startup menu (System|Preferences|Startup Applications)
> is no longer working. For example: I previously had Nautilus to start on
> boot - worked great in hardy. Now, it no longer starts; I've even
> included the full path in the command (/usr/bin/nautilus) and it still
> doesn't work. Anyone have any idea what needs to be done to get it to
> start and/or a reference bug report (I've already viewed
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/249373).

If I put /usr/bin/nautilus in there, it does not work.
If I put /usr/bin/nautilus $HOME in there, it coughs up a 'could not
open $HOME' error on log in.
If however I put in /usr/bin/nautilus /home/myusername   it works fine.

Try that.

Brian

PS - this is my installed from fresh Jaunty laptop.  Hopefully the
'upgrade' part of this won't come into play....