Wireless broken after partial upgrade

Jamie Griffin jpg at gmx.com
Fri May 8 14:30:12 UTC 2009

Hi everyone

I am using Jaunty and this morning the update manager popped up with an option to do a partial upgrade. I selected to run it and it completed without any errors. However, when i rebooted the machine my wireless connection is no longer available.

A newer kernel has been installed, from 2.6.28.11 to 2.6.28.12, and with the newer kernel i think the driver for my wireless card is not present. I've booted from the older kernel and wireless connection is working as it should.

It's not  too much of a problem because i have, at least, got a kernel that is functioning with my all of my hardware but i would like to sort it out if possible and need some advice on how to go about that.

With the older kernel, the driver in use is the Broadcom STA wireless driver. My wireless card is Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g. If i boot using the newer kernel do i just need to download the driver and install it; and can i do that using the package manager (apt, aptitude, synaptic, etc) or do i have to get it from the Broadcom site?

TIA, Jamie

--
GPG Key-ID: 0x842DD368
GPG Key-Fingerprint: F850 A09C F877 FBC4 A63C  FDDC 7484 4EEF 842D D368