The changes I make to my live session don't get saved upon reboot

Aaron E-J azintirea at gmail.com
Fri May 8 13:18:22 UTC 2009

I did not install it to my hard drive, I am still using the live
session, but I was able to use the live session and save my changes
using 8.10.  If I had more space on my hard drive or was willing to
erase it I would do that in a heart beat.  I have things saved to my
hard drive that I'm not willing to give up.

(re quote: unless there is only a few who are not delusional, then the
sane are seen as crazy)

On 5/8/09, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Aaron E-J <azintirea at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So in February my computer crashed and after a bit of hassle, I
>> installed 8.10 to a flash drive in early April. Then, this week I had
>> access to a good enough network to upgrade to 9.04, thinking it would
>> be much better and it is, with one huge problem – the changes I make
>> don't get saved upon reboot. (I wish I had tested this sooner) I have
>> heard that there is some work around involving partitioning the drive
>> in ext2 format with a specific name. The only problem is this is
>> probably for the full install, not for the live session. I don't want
>> to do a full install to my flash if I don't absolutely need to as it
>> takes up too much space and I want to use the space to install more
>> programs/features. Anyone have any idea why my settings are not saved?
>> I guess the first thing I'll try is reinstalling the live OS, but
>> failing that, anyone have any suggestions?
>
> So you're saying that yo've installed Ubuntu onto your machine (i.e
> you're not just booting the Live CD image). You log in with your
> userid, make changes to the installation and when you reboot your
> changes are lost? Sounds like you haven't actually installed it to a
> writable drive and are booting from the installation image.
>
> Can you clarify how you installed?
>
> --
> Steve
> When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
> people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
>
> 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Aaron E-J
http://otherrealm.org
http://aaronej.blogspot.com