'Tone of the list' discussion

Faizan Kazi faizan.s.kazi at gmail.com
Fri May 8 09:48:47 UTC 2009

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Donnerstag, den 07.05.2009, 13:15 -0400 schrieb Lorenzo Taylor:
>
>>  Defining obscene language on such a list would be like
>> defining pain based on what hurts a wrestler and what hurts a baby. Do we go
>> with the wrestler's definition of what hurts, even though the baby is unable to
>> stand that much pain or do we go with what makes the baby cry,
>>

> thats pretty clear defined, ubuntu lists, forums and IRC channels have
> to be family friendly since you can always have kids in the subscribers
> list, that is the reason why the code of conduct was defined initially
> *before* ubuntu was created ... see the "be respectful" paragraph ...
>
> "It's important to remember that a community where people feel
> uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one."
>
> this line applies to *every possible* listmember be it a baby, grandma,
> wrestler, hindu, moslem, jew, christian with black white red, blue or
> green skincolor.
>
> this code is respected on every ubuntu IRC channel, mailing list and in
> the forums. there are heated discussions and often also lots of
> disagreement on these lists, but people seem to be able to handle it
> elsewhere without getting insulting. the only place that runs constantly
> out of bounds since it grew beyond a certain size is this mailing list.
>
> ciao
> 	oli

Guys please, this is getting out of hand. I see more posts everyday
about etiquette than I see posts about trouble shooting or problem
solving regarding Ubuntu usage. Youre clogging up the list with complaints!
Just live and let live - don't like the way someone talks, send it to
your spam!

The mods will do what they have to do, meanwhile, message them or set up
a blog for complaints and let everyone know about it. Dont flood this
list. Thanks!

Regards,
Fez