msgs not reaching list

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Thu May 7 15:49:08 UTC 2009

Anthony Baldwin:

> Do I then understand...that the problem may be caused by the fact that
> my SMTP settings in seamonkey mail are set up to use the
> other/nonsubscribed account to access the smtp.gmail.com server?

Exactly.
AFAICT, Gmail uses the mail address used for authentication at their
SMTP server as envelope sender when relaying mail to other hosts. So, if
you use foo.bar at example.com[1] as user name  when authenticating to
Gmail's SMTP submission service, Gmail will use foo.bar at example.com as
envelope sender when talking to, for example, the Ubuntu list server.
Which will, if foo.bar at example.com isn't subscribed, reject the mail.

BTW: it seems that the above is true even if you manually use something
else for "mail from" when talking SMTP to Gmail's submission service.

> Maybe I should just use my ISP's smtp server for outgoing mail...but,
> then, according to how I understand this problem, would the msgs then
> be sent from the addy my ISP gave me (@comcast.net), which I never
> use, and which is not subscribed?

That depends on how Comcast have configured their servers. But my guess
would be, yes, they may likely behave as Gmail, i. e. the envelope
address will be your Comcast address.

> I don't recall ever having these issues using POP mail on e-lists,
> regardless of what SMTP server I used, and I don't have any such
> issues sending msgs to yahoo! groups lists....I wonder if it's just an
> IMAP glitch, or a gmail glitch, or what...

Well, it's a sending issue. What you use to read your mail is unrelated.

> Still a little confused...
> Perhaps I will just change my SMTP settings to use this acct to access
> the gmail smtp server, since the only place I'm having issues is
> sending to these lists.

Yep, using the credentials for the account you're subscribed with when
talking SMTP to Gmail should almost certainly work.

[1] Using example.com to not accidentally use a mail address that might
really exist. When reading, replace "example" by "gmail".

--
Regards
  mks