msgs not reaching list

anthony baldwin photodharma at gmail.com
Thu May 7 12:41:27 UTC 2009

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Anthony Baldwin:
>

>> Now, I have sent several messages from photodharma at gmail.com to the
>> list, this being the e-mail address with which I joined the list.
>> But, for some unknown reason, I keep getting bounce msgs at
>> baldwinlinguas at gmail.com
>> saying that my message could not be delivered, non-member sending to
>> member only list.
>> I AM a member, and I have carefully verified that the "From:" field
>> contains the relevant address,
>>

> The "From" header value in your message and the value of the "mail from"
> command in the SMTP dialog (when two mail servers talk to each other)
> are two completely different things.
> You can think of the latter as the sender address you write on the
> outside of an (snail mail) envelope, while the former is like an address
> in the letterhead on the sheet of paper you put inside this envelope.
> From the postal service's perspective the sender address is the address
> on the envelope - no matter what's printed on the sheet inside (no
> envelopes with windows in this example).
>
> Similarly: whether or not the list server accepts your mail depends on
> the address given during the "mail from" stage of the SMTP dialog (the
> "envelope address"). What address you put into the "From" header
> *inside* your mail is (probably) irrelevant wrt acceptance/refusal of
> the list server.

As a test, I have now altered my SMTP settings in Seamonkey mail
(actually justed added a second config so that this addy accesses the
smtp server directly, instead of through the other acct), to see if I
can now successfully send from seamonkey.

thanks for your assistance.

/tony

--

http://www.photodharma.com