Problem with gconftool and cron

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Thu May 7 00:18:47 UTC 2009

I wrote a ruby script to periodically change my desktop image. I want to run
it through cron every 30 minutes. When I run the script from the command line,
it works perfectly.

When I run it through cron, it doesn't work. The command in the script is:

	/usr/bin/gconftool -t str --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
'#{new_picture}'

Please accept the the variable new_picture is properly set. I create a trace
file in the script and have verified that it is correct.

The relevant error that I'm seeing in /var/log/auth.log is

dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call",
sender=":1.53" (uid=1000 pid=12008 comm="/usr/lib/indicator-applet/indicator-
applet --oaf-a") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="Get"
error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination=":1.84" (uid=0 pid=13817
comm="/USR/SBIN/CRON "))

I know enough to find the message, but I don't have a clue how to proceed to fix
this. This script works perfectly when invoked from the command line and
doesn't work when called through cron (my userid - not root). I'm on jaunty.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
---Michael