Interesting suggestions about quoting and posting

Lorenzo Taylor daxlinux at gmail.com
Wed May 6 23:09:24 UTC 2009

Usually I choose not to quote whenever possible, but instead make my answer
clear enough that the question is very easily deducible from the reply, usually
by paraphrasing or restating the question in the reply, kinda the same way I
have been doing in my Esperanto correspondence courses. Example:

What is the family name of Ana?
The family name of Ana is Pana.

However, I just had a message to which I was responding which I preferred to
respond to in a q&a style approach. Unfortunately, since I pasted each portion
of the message text I wanted to quote, no attribution was present, so I had to
make up my own by looking up the person's name in the previous message and typing:

According to Somebody:

above the first occurrence of quoted text.

I am running Thunderbird 3.0 and have quoting turned off by default. What is the
best way to do this without having to turn quoting on for every message I send?
I can easily enough take out all the extra information that usually looks like: