Mailing list woes

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Wed May 6 19:49:05 UTC 2009

[this one time an intentional full quote]

Allen Meyers:
> Markus Schönhaber:
>> Charlie Gray:

>>> So do you only quote the last text you are replying to and not the
>>> previous people or irrelevant paragraphs?
>> I only quote that part(s) of the previous post that are needed to put my
>> reply/replies into context (that may, in some cases, include even parts
>> of "pre-previous" posts - if they're needed to put one's own reply into
>> an understandable context).
>> Of course, this results in more effort for the poster than just typing
>> something at the point where the mail client chose to place the cursor
>> and hitting "Send". But the benefit for the reader is IMO enormous. And
>> whoever is too lazy to undergo this effort should think about whether it
>> really is a good idea to make things easier for himself by thus making
>> it harder for the potential reader - from whom he might expect help.
>>
>> Regards
>>  mks
> Hi mks:
> I found this indeed a learning curve, probably more for the list in
> terms of being the resource, and not the individual asking the
> question, but is this what you referred to in that I cut that part of
> your msg that was not relevant to my reply. I truly want to know and
> not intending to start a in dept back and forth.

Yep, that's essentially what I meant.
Just two remarks (even though they're not much more than nitpicking):
- My "Regards mks" doesn't add any value to the topic, so there's no
point in quoting it.
- Most mail clients can be configured to prepend the name of the quoted
author to the quote (I'm pretty sure, it's possible in Gmail too). That
way one can easily see - in combination with the level of indentation -
who wrote what.

Regards
  mks