Inappropriate tone on this mailing list and requirement for governance

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed May 6 16:50:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Amedee Van Gasse (Ubuntu) wrote:

> On Wed, May 6, 2009 13:42, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
>> Tom Sparks wrote:
>>
>>> What about a trial period for new members?
>>>

>> One can be good at the beginning and become bad and bad...
>
> Or bad at the beginning and become good and better...
>
> I am contra a trial period, and contra total moderation.
>
> I am pro greylist moderation. This is what is currently happening on the
> ubuntu-be list, for exactly one user (that I know of). Only the posts of
> this particular user get reviewed by a (team of) moderator(s). It works
> pretty good.
> Don't reinvent the wheel but reuse proven solutions.

I also oppose "trial periods for new members".

That is one way to discourage people from the list, and, from the
product.

The "greylist moderation" idea sounds good.

A poster causes trouble, so gets put on a list of subscribers who are
modified, at least until the poster proves itself to be behaving
satisfactorily.

Being put on the "greylist" could be in response to a moderator finding
an unacceptable post by the person, in reading messages on the list, or,
posting by the person, or, about the behaviour of the person on the
list, which is then assessed, and, if found unacceptable, the person is
put on the greylist and moderated until such time as decided otherwise.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."